When we first bought the Payson house, I discussed with my manager the possibility of modifying my work schedule to a commonly accepted eight nines program. The way it works is, in a ten-day work period, I would work one 8-hour day, eight 9-hour days and have one day off. One of my MR KLUD friends is on this work schedule and my company does offer this as an option, but my boss was not very keen on the idea. I let the subject drop and did not bring it up again, especially once Laurie started working full time, but when she recently went to a 30 hours work week, I brought it up again. It took quite awhile to get my manager to agree to a test period, but he finally did and this will be my first use of the new schedule. I originally wanted Fridays off like my friend has, but another guy at work has Fridays off for a different reason through the end of the year, so I told my boss I would take Mondays off.
This weekend we did not plan any real work as we had scheduled to have our niece, her husband and their 3-month old baby girl stay with us for the full weekend (including the Monday). Our niece had worked as an interior designer for awhile, so we offered them a weekend get away in return for pointers on paint colors and how to set up the great room.
The first night we got there we went for a walk through the neighborhood and our neighbors across the street were celebrating a friend's birthday and asked us to join. When we got back from the walk, the girls went inside with the baby and my nephew and I went over to visit. I have met this neighbor before, but never spent much time with them and this time I met his wife and daughter (we had met his son another time). We got some low-down on the neighborhood and some info on the previous owners of our house and got a beer to boot. While we were there, the wife starting screaming about a spider and we found a tarantula type spider near the door. Her husband and a friend took the spider down the road to let it go. She said she hates these spiders and they get them quite often. In the two years we have had our house, we have seen many spiders but never one like this one. I am hoping we won't as I know Laurie would have the same reaction.
While we were at the neighbors, Laurie and her niece had worked on the color scheme and had it just about completed by the time we got back. Here are the colors that they eventually agreed upon (I just nodded my head in approval):
| The main wall color (same through out the house) is on the left and the contrast color for the great room and kitchen is on the right. |
| Same main wall color on left and contrast color for the den |
| Same main wall color on left and contrast color for the bedrooms |
| Color for the bathrooms and laundry room |
I did end up doing a couple of small projects at the house during some down time. I got a couple of new temporary shades for the windows since some that we had put up a long time ago kept coming unstuck. I got lucky with this as Home Depot had discontinued carrying the 48" wide shade, but someone must have returned some as there were two available and I got them both. I also got some new pads for the dining chairs. I had put some adhesive felts pads on the feet of the chairs when we put down the vinyl floor, but they too were starting to come unstuck. This time I bought some felt pads that replaced the nailed-in plastic chair feet.
Our nephew had to work Monday afternoon, so they took off around noon while we finished packing things up at the house and left a few hours later. Now that we have a color scheme, we will have our work cut out for us to do all the painting of the walls.
Stats: 2 Home Depot trips; 1 Walmart trips
Remodeling expense 7/6/12-7/16/12: $385
Remodeling expense to date: $43,795

Love the color scheme- will there be a "paint party" in the future?
ReplyDeleteWe are definitely not opposed to that idea, though does Richard know what you just signed him up for? On the other hand, with your 100 list schedule, we would not get the house painted until next year.
ReplyDelete