We had no work planned for this weekend, but we needed to check out the last half of the taping/texturing work and take care of our full dumpster. This time we wanted the dumpster to be able to be locked and we wanted it to be placed in the front yard. We also decided to rent a U-Haul trailer to bring up all the woodworking tools I got from my mom when she moved to AZ, and a washer & dryer my sister gave us when she replaced her old ones with my mom's newer set. Since the waste management company does not work weekends, I decided to take Friday off work and meet with both the drywallers and the waste management people and then drive the Jeep back home so we could use it to pull the trailer.
I met Craig and Steve at the house and the rest of the texturing looked just as good as the first. The house looks so much better now. I helped them pack up their tools and paid them for their work. We were glad we took the extra time to remove the screens and tape off the outlets. It made the clean-up so much easier. I had some extra time before I went home so I removed all the tape and swept and vacuumed the rooms they had worked in.
 |
| The kitchen |
 |
| The dining room |
 |
| Looking to the great room from the dining room |
 |
| Looking at the pantry opening and great room |
 |
| The front door and den |
 |
| Front part of the great room |
 |
| More of the great room |
 |
| Looking to the back of the house from the great room |
 |
| The hall bathroom |
While I was finishing with Craig and Steve, the waste management driver came and dropped the new dumpster in the front yard and picked up the old one. Before he drove off, he had to empty the old one and it took a couple of tries and some compacting before the whole thing emptied out.
 |
| Did not waste any space. . . |
|
 |
| . . .packed to the hilt |
|
Since we had given our door key out to allow people access to the house, and learned that our key had been given to other workers, we decided to re-key the six existing locks on the house. We had purchased lock sets for the two security screens that are going on the front and back doors and wanted all the keys to be the same. Home Depot can re-key locks for $5 a cylinder and, when I took them all the locks, I found they could not modify the new locks for the security screens, so we had to change all the door locks to match those anyway. Everything always works out for the best.
It took Home Depot a couple of hours to re-key all the locks, so I went back to the house to do some cleanup and pull some weeds. After that, I moved some of the kitchen furniture out of the den and back into the kitchen. Even with Laurie and I moving this stuff, it was heavy and awkward so Laurie had suggested using some furniture moving disks that we had purchased for another project. I took those up with me and was able to move the table and all three kitchen cabinets on my own. It was not hard at all and was not nearly as awkward.
With all that done, I picked up the locks from Home Depot and put them back on the doors then I returned to the Valley in the Jeep. Laurie had to take the afternoon off to see the doctor due to some damage done to her toe when one of the cabinets landed on it last weekend. She got home about the same time I did and we decided to get the trailer early and pick up the washer/dryer from my sister. Since we were ahead of schedule, we packed all the tools on the trailer and headed back to Payson. We had originally planned to leave Saturday morning, but this way we did not have to leave the trailer unguarded and be rushed to get up and back on Saturday. The drive up went very well, with just one hiccup on one of the long downhills. I tried to keep from riding the brakes and just pumped them to keep our speed down, but by the bottom of the hill I could smell the burning and the brakes were not holding as well, but we were already starting to level off and did not have any further brake problems.
We unloaded all the stuff into the house when we got in around 8pm and almost filled the great room. The next morning we ate breakfast out since our kitchen was dismantled and tried a new place called Tiny's. We had planned to go to the 360 cafe (the diner we discovered when Doug and Ursi were here), but it was closed for remodeling. The food at Tiny's was not bad and the price was very reasonable. We went back to the house to load up some of the old bathroom fixtures on the trailer to drop off at Restore on the way home as we had to have the trailer back by 4pm. The trip home with the empty trailer was uneventful.
 |
| Everything brought up on a 6x12 trailer. . . |
|
 |
| . . .but wait, there's more! |
|
Stats: 2 Home Depot trips; 0 Walmart trips
Remodeling expense 9/12-9/17: $68
Remodeling expense to date: $32,292
No comments:
Post a Comment